Nominees for the Première Brasil Announced
This important celebration will once again brighten Rio’s cultural landscape with programming that features a combination of new and award-winning films, along with independent and rare films. Now in its 18th year, the 2016 Festival do Rio will make its mark on the Brazilian film scene with the participation of renown filmmakers like Andrucha Waddington, Marcos Prado, Sérgio Machado, Luiz Carlos Lacerda, Eryk Rocha, Eliane Caffé, alongside newer directors like Leandra Leal. Thirty five full-length films and 13 short films will compete for the audience vote for best fiction, documentary and short film in the Première Brasil. A jury will select the winners of the Redeemer Trophy in other categories.
The Première Brasil will showcase directors with a diverse range of narrative styles, from throughout Brazil. Eight full-length films by directors Andrucha Waddington (Sob Pressão), Eliane Caffé (Era o Hotel Cambridge), José Luiz Villamarin (Redemoinho), Érico Rassi (Comeback), Felipe Scholl (Fala Comigo), Cristiane Oliveira (Mulher do Pai), Charly Braun (Vermelho Russo) e Paulo Machline (O Filho Eterno) will compete in the fiction category. The six nominees in the documentary category are directed by Marcos Prado (Curumin), Leandra Leal (Divinas Divas), Sérgio Machado (Luta do Século), Eliza Capai (O Jabuti e a Anta), Sérgio Oliveira (Super Orquestra Arcoverdense de Ritmos Americanos), and co-directors Paulo Cesar Toledo and Abigail Spindel (Waiting for B.).
Six full-length and four short films will compete in the New Trends series, which has been attracting larger audiences every year. The series provides a space for diverse cinematic languages, with films by new and veteran filmmakers. The exhibition Retratos Falados features four full-length films that explore politics and society in Brazilian history. The list of films can be found at the end of this page.
This year, the Festival do Rio celebrates the 15th anniversary of the film Lavoura Arcaica, directed by Luiz Fernando Carvalho. The film is based on the novel of the same name by Raduan Nassar, winner of the 2016 Camões Prize, and considered one of the most important writers of literature in Portuguese. The cast of the film To the Left of the Father, by Luiz Fernando Carvalho, includes Selton Mello, Raul Cortez, Juliana Carneiro da Cunha, Simone Spoladore, among others. Since its release in 2001, it has earned 50 international awards and 16 nominations.
The 2016 Festival do Rio is also paying tribute to the previously unreleased film É um caso de polícia, by Carla Civelli (1921-1977), with script by Dias Gomes. This full-length film was produced in 1959, and has been restored thanks to efforts by Patricia Civelli, the director’s niece. Francisco Sérgio Moreira restored the film, and it was digitized by TeleImagem. This comedy was shot in a mansion that belonged to the former mayor of Rio, Pereira Passos (the house was demolished shortly after filming). The cast includes Glauce Rocha, Sebastião Vasconcelos, Claudio Corrêa e Castro and Renato Consorte. The restored version will be screened in the Treasures series.
The non-competitive exhibitions present fiction films by directors such as Domingos de Oliveira (BR716), Hugo Prata (Elis), David Schurmann (with Pequeno Segredo, which was chosen to represent Brazil in the 2017 Oscars) and Luiz Carlos Lacerda (O que seria deste mundo sem paixão?). Directors competing in the documentary category are Beto Brandt and Camila Pitanga, with Pitanga, about the career of actor Antonio Pitanga; and Eryk Rocha, with his film Cinema Novo, winner of the L’Oeil D’Or Award for best documentary at the2016 Festival de Cannes.
Brazilian films appear on the roster in several of the festival’s exhibitions. The film La Vingança (El Revenge), a comedy produced in São Paulo and directed by Fernando Fraiha, with Leandra Leal, Felipe Rocha, Daniel Furlan, and others, is showing in the Première Latino. Audiences can see the films Kabadio - O Tempo Não Passa (Kabadio - Time goes by slowly, barefoot), by Daniel Leite, and Central, by Tatiana Sager and Renato Dornelles in the Borders series.
The Festival do Rio is made possible with sponsorship from RIOFILME, PETROBRAS and BNDES, and co-sponsorship from Oi; the Ministry of Culture and other supporters and partners.
FILMS NOMINATED FOR THE PREMIÈRE BRASIL + BRAZILIAN FILMS IN OTHER SERIES
FULL-LENGTH FILMS - COMPETITIVE EXHIBITIONSLONGAS MOSTRAS COMPETITIVAS
1. Comeback (Comeback), de Erico Rassi, 83 min (SP) WP
2. Era o Hotel Cambridge (Era o Hotel Cambridge), de Eliane Caffé, 90 min (SP)
3. Fala Comigo (The Other End), de Felipe Sholl, 92 min (RJ) WP
4. Mulher do Pai (A Woman and the Father), de Cristiane Oliveira, 94 min (RS) WP
5. O Filho Eterno (The Eternal Son),de Paulo Machline, 82 min (SP) WP
6. Redemoinho (Whirlpool), de José Luiz Villamarim, 100 min (RJ) WP
7. Sob Pressão (Under Pressure), de Andrucha Waddington, 90 min (RJ) WP
8. Vermelho Russo (Russian Red), de Charly Braun, 90 min (SP) WP
1. Curumim (Curumim), de Marcos Prado, 100 min (RJ)
2. Divinas Divas (Divine Divas), de Leandra Leal, 110 min (RJ) WP
3. Luta do Século (Fight of the Century), de Sergio Machado, 78 min (SP) WP
4. O Jabuti e a Anta (The Tortoise And The Tapir), de Eliza Capai, 70 min (SP) WP
5. Super Orquestra Arcoverdense de Ritmos Americanos (The Desert of Super Oara), de Sergio Oliveira, 79 min (PE) WP
6. Waiting for B. (Waiting for B.), de Paulo Cesar Toledo e Abigail Spindel, 71 min (SP)
1. A Serpente (The Serpent), de Jura Capela, 73 min (RJ) WP
2. Deixa Na Régua (Fix Up, Look Sharp), de Emílio Domingos, 75 min (RJ) WP
3. Então Morri (Then I Died), de Bia Lessa e Dany Roland, 85 min (RJ) WP
4. Para Ter Onde Ir (Somewhere to Go), de Jorane Castro, 100 min (PA) WP
5. Talvez Deserto Talvez Universo (Maybe Desert Perhaps Universe), de Karen Akerman e Miguel Seabra Lopes, 100 min (RJ)
6. Xale (Shawl), de Douglas Soares, 71 min (RJ) WP
CURTAS MOSTRAS COMPETITIVAS (COMPETITIVE SHOWS)
1. Antonieta (Antonieta), de Flávia Person, 15 min (SC) (DOC)
2. Demônia - Melodrama em 3 atos (Demônia - A Melodrama in 3 Acts) , de Cainan Baladez e Fernanda Chicolet, 15 min (RJ) (FIC)
3. Lápis cor de pele (Skin Tone Pencil), de Victória Roque, 16 min (RJ) (DOC)
4. O Estacionamento (The Parking Lot), de William Biagioli, 15 min (PR) (FIC)
5. O Ex-Mágico (The Ex-Magician), de Olimpio Costa e Mauricio Nunes, 11 min (PE) (FIC)
6. O Homem da raia do canto (The man on the corner lane), de Cibele Santa Cruz, 15 min (RJ) (FIC) WP
7. Postegardos (Postponed), de Carolina Markowicz, 17 min (SP) (FIC)
8. Se por acaso (If by chance), de Pedro Freire, 15 min (RJ) (FIC)
1. Sem Título #3: E para que poetas em tempo de pobreza? (And what are Poets for in a Time of Poverty?), de Carlos Adriano, 14 min (SP) (DOC)
2. Janaina Overdrive (Janaina Overdrive), de Mozart Freire 19 min (CE) (FIC)
3. Love Snaps (Love Snaps), de Daniel Ribeiro e Rafael Lessa, 13 min (SP) (FIC)
4. Não me prometa nada (Don´t promise me anything), de Eva Randolph, 21 min (FIC)
1. BR 716 (BR 716), de Domingos Oliveira, 85 min (RJ)
2. Elis (Elis), de Hugo Prata, 110 min (SP)
3. Pequeno Segredo (Little Secret), de David Schurmann, 105 min (SP)
4. O que seria deste mundo sem paixão? (What would this world without passion ?), de Luiz Carlos Lacerda, 75 min (RJ) WP
1. Cinema Novo (Cinema Novo), de Eryk Rocha, 90 min (RJ)
2. Pitanga (Pitanga), de Beto Brant e Camila Pitanga, 110 min (SP) WP
1. Os Cravos e a Rocha (Os Cravos e a Rocha), de Luísa Sequeira, 16 min (PT)
1. Entre os homens de bem (The Stranger in the House), de Caio Cavechini e Carlos Juliano Barros, 104 min (SP)
2. Galeria F (Gallery F), de Emília Silveira, 86 min (RJ)
3. Intolerância.doc (Intolerance.doc), de Susanna Lira, 85 min (RJ) WP
4. Holocausto Brasileiro, de Daniela Arbex e Armando Mendz, 90 min (SP) WP
1. La Vingança (El Revenge), de Fernando Fraiha, 90 min (SP) WP
1. Kabadio - O tempo não tem pressa, anda descalço (Kabadio - Time goes by slowly, barefoot), de Daniel Leite, 95 min (RJ)
2. Central (Central), de Tatiana Sager e Renato Dornelles, 75 min (RS)
1. É Um Caso de Polícia, de Carla Civelli (1959)
Homenagem 15 anos
1. Lavoura Arcaica (To the Left of the Father),de Luiz Fernando Carvalho (2001)